Sunday, September 21, 2008

Blog Post 1: Photo sharing sites

Wow, the possibilities of uses of sites such as Flickr could be pretty far-ranging. Sharing community or school photos around the world, ge0-tagging photos with maps - these seem to be some obvious choices. geography and history are obvious courses for this. Will Richardson rattles off four questions in his chapter on Flickr )for example:What if you could invite other people from around the globe to have discussions about those images? What if you and your students could annotate them with your own descitpions and observations?) that really broadened my outlook about how using an image-sharing site could be educational. From my point of view, even things like a relatively simple gallery walk could be so much more collaborative, with each student commenting on a different picture thy had chosen to work with. Also, celebrating community, a part of my curriculum that welcomes more options, could definitely benefit from Flickr. Flickr's Creative Commons area is great, a fine tool to ensure students are not using images without permission and give them a place to search securely yet freely.
However, I tried to follow some of the "simple" directions and was less than successful. I don't think I'm the only one, see http://jacquiesgreatdigitaladventure.blogspot.com/ - but the second try worked for this perservering blogger. I created a slideshow and put it on my blog easy enough, but some other applications fell with a resounding thud. I still have questions I haven't fully answered: How do you geotag on Flickr? How do you move to a private space in Flickr as Richardson suggests?

Here's a short video for all of you teacher-librarians and other interested parties:


4 comments:

Carol N. said...

Thanks for posting that little video--I hadn't come across it before and it was good for a chuckle!

Carol N. said...

I almost forgot to mention the private space on Flickr. I do believe that he was referring to the fact that when we upload photos we can choose to make them private (visible for friends, visible to family) or public. Each photo you upload gives you that choice.

If there is more to that notion of a "private space", I would love to hear about it.

Joanne said...

Hi Chris,

Interesting video--thanks for sharing it. You raise some interesting questions at the end of your post--I would love to see you think through some of them over the next few weeks and post your thoughts on your blog!

Jo-Anne Gibson said...

Chris,
The power of the video medium for students is huge. If I had played that video during my library orientations instead of me just talking about not putting books back anywhere, I think the students would have paid way more attention. Thanks for including it on your blog and I've copied the URL for future use.

I believe that what Carol says about being able to chose whether pictures are made public or private by choosing a setting while using Flickr is what Richardson is talking about.

Jo-Anne