Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Blog

As late as I am to this blogging party, I am going to prove to my dogs that an old one can learn new tricks. All you see (and will see in the future) on this page comes courtesy of my work for the Teacher-Librarian Distance Learning course at the University of Alberta.
I chose to use Blogger because it was suggested by author Will Richardson in his book Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts. Richardson recommends Blogger because it’s free, it’s easy to use, and many teachers have used it with students; the latter point is essential, because I aim to find a wealth of educational applications as I go through a process of sprouting from technological infancy to a techno-toddler (and then teenager!) in a relatively short period. Also, I suspected many of my fellow students in this course might go with Blogger and I might be able to discuss the pros and cons of using it, share some ideas, and learn more than I might if I went with a different one.
As it turns out, I found it quite easy to follow other colleagues sites and see who was following mine. For some reason I had problems uploading photos, receiving “corrupted file” messages. At any rate, I have now found the process of actually posting a blog is simple, as is editing a submitted post. These are, for me, the imperatives, because any of my students should be able to participate; looks good so far.

No comments: